Image by its just brent
The gardens at Haddon Hall – The Chapel
Image by ell brown
The gardens at Haddon Hall.
On a hill so multiple layers going down towards the river!
Although you can see the river, the gate to it is padlocked shut!
The Chapel of Haddon Hall as seen from the garden.
Haddon Hall is Grade I listed.
SK 26 NW PARISH OF NETHER HADDON HADDON ROAD
2/28 (North Side)
29.9.51 Haddon Hall
Large double courtyard, fortified manor house. Seat of the Dukes of Rutland
and built by the Vernon family. Fragments of C12 work but mainly of two periods
with the upper courtyard built mainly in the second quarter of Cl4 and the lower
courtyard built mostly in C15, but also with major refashionings and alterations
of C16 and C17 and a major restoration between 1920 and 1930, supervised by Mr
Leonard Stanhope, the Clerk of Works. Limestone and gritstone rubble and ashlar
gritstone with gritstone dressings and quoins. Leaded roof, mostly hidden by
embattled parapets with ridgeback copings, roofs and parapets mostly C20.
Numerous stone ridge and side wall stacks, mostly C20, some with crenellated tops,
plus massive late C15 external stacks to west side of Great Hall and, possibly
C14, corbelled out stone stacks to north walls. Two storeys with four storey
north-west gatetower, and three storey eastern Peveril Tower and north-east
lodgings to upper courtyard. Double courtyard plan on sloping site with upper
courtyard to north-east and lower courtyard to south-west. Upper courtyard has
Peveril’s Tower, the original entrance, and the state bedroom to east range, Long
Gallery to south and the present Duke’s apartments to north, whilst the lower
courtyard has the continuation of the private apartments and the north-west entrance
tower to north, offices and lodgings to west and the Chapel and the Earl’s Bedroom
to south, between the two courtyards the Great Hall and its service rooms.
North elevation has late C15 entrance tower to west with C14 kitchen range to east
and beyond the Duke’s apartments, mostly C17 but much restored. Entrance tower
has steps up to moulded, shallow pointed arch with hoodmould and double studded
oak doors. To west a slit window and beyond an ornate ashlar, stepped buttress with
relief carving to upper part. Above door a blank plaque with hoodmould and 3-light
cavetto moulded mullion window with pointed lights and incised spandrels, set in
ovolo moulded recess with hoodmould. Above again similar plaque, but decorated with
upturned acorns, and similar 3-light window. Similar blank plaque and window over
with large coat of arms immediately above, breaking through the moulded stringcourse
with gargoyles,on to the parapets. Beyond the C14 stacks to east, a Cl7 wing with
range of recessed and chamfered mullion windows. Attached to west corner of tower
an embattled ashlar wall with four-centred arched doorcase with hoodmould, under
large coat of arms of the ‘Kings of the Peak’, which has to either side a carved
frieze of the Vernons family shields. West side of tower has polygonal staircase
turret to south corner, corbelled out at first floor level.
Garden front to south of limestone and gritstone rubble with gritstone quoins and
continuous moulded sill bands to first floor windows and continuous moulded eaves
stringcourse. Four bay, early C17, section to east with advanced square, two
storey bay flanked by canted, two storey, bay windows with another window to east,
and attached to west a five bay C16 section, much refashioned in C17, with the Chapel
beyond to west. Eastern section has a range of recessed and ovolo moulded, double
transomed windows to Long Gallery at first floor level with recessed and chamfered
windows below. Lower section attached to west with two storey canted bay window
with large carved crest on parapets, beyond. To west again three, first floor,
oriel windows, each with recessed and ovolo moulded mullion and transomed windows,
central oriel with double angled sides. To extreme west, the Chapel, set at a
different angle, with Perp 5-light east window, two flat headed Perp chancel windows,
C13 lancets in the south aisle and C15 cusped clerestorey windows. To opposite
side of the Chapel in the lower courtyard stands a C15 octagonal bell turret with
cusped Y-tracery arches to all sides at the top. Attached to east end of the Chapel
the remains of C14 timber walling, now mainly enveloped in the late C16 rebuilding
of the Earl’s Bedroom which has mullion and transomed canted bay windows at first
floor level. Great Hall to east range of the lower courtyard has C14, 2-light,
low transomed, windows with central quatrefoil over cusped lights, to either side
of late C15 external stack. To north C15 three storey porch and to south projecting
Interior – the Chapel has two bay arcades of double chamfered pointed arches,
that to north on C15 capital and polygonal column, that to south on mutilated
late C12 scalloped capital and column. Fine ‘grisailles’ wall paintings to nave
and early C17 oak pews and furnishings, inscribed ‘GM 1624’. C15 stained glass
to east, north and south windows, east one inscribed ‘Ornate pro animabus Riccardi
Vernon et Benedicte uxoris eius qui fecerunt anno dni 1472’. Below east window
a C14 Nottingham alabaster reredos, introduced in C20. C12 plain circular font
with C17 cover of double curved scrolls meeting at central knob and 1894 marble
tomb to Robert Manners, with figure of dead boy to top and coats of arms and heads
of family to sides, to south side of nave. Opposite a C15 stoop on octagonal stem
with crenellated top. Great Hall has C15 timber screens passage with cusped
panelling and gallery over, also arched braced roof dated 1923, C16 panelled lobby
to south through to parlour and C16 panelling to the walls; large cavetto moulded
fireplace to west and four,four-centred arched doorcases to north of screens
passage, eastern one opens on to the staircase up to the gallery, whilst the other
three lead to the kitchen, pantry and buttery, all have original oak studded doors.
C14 kitchen has two massive segmental fireplaces, impressive C17 oak kitchen
furniture and C16 chamfered cross beam roof supported near centre by braced wooden
pier. Bakehouse beyond to east with breadovens and dough troughs, with slaughter
house beyond again to east. Parlour to south of the Great Hall has its original
cl500 painted ceiling, and panelling throughout,dated 1545, with carved frieze
next to ceiling. Above is the Earl’s Bedroom, refashioned in C17, when plasterwork
frieze and ceiling, and panelling inserted. Beyond this room to west another
apartment with the remains of C14 timber walling still visible. Long Gallery
and State Bedroom to east, both C17. Long Gallery has classically inspired
panelling, hugh windows and plasterwork ceiling. State Bedroom beyond, has fireplace
with elborate plaster overmantle similar to those at Hardwick. Sources see
Country Life CVI (1949) December 23, pp 1884, ‘Haddon Hall’ by Christopher Hussey,
The Royal Archaeological Institute Journal Vol 118, ‘Haddon Hall and Bolsover
Castle’, pg 188 by P A Faulkner and the National Ancient Monument Review Vol I
‘The reinstatement of Haddon Hall’ by John Swarbrick pg 135.
Listing NGR: SK2348566368
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.
Image by merriehaskell
Select Cities August 12
In HELL OR HIGH WATER, two brothers, Toby (Chris Pine) and Tanner (Ben Foster), go on a calculated bank robbery spree that puts them on a collision course with a West Texas Ranger (Academy Award©-winner Jeff Bridges) determined to take them down.
http://www.youtube.com/starsunplugged –CLICK FOR ALL. – Part One of Lauren Harries Interviewed By David Hoyle – April 22nd 2008 Royal Vauxhall, London. – Make sure you watch all parts.
( lauren harries david hoyle celebrity celeb star celebrities uk sex drugs naked big brother sexy tv soaps soap stars clip )