Image from page 62 of “New guide of Rome, Naples and their environs” (1844)

Image from page 62 of “New guide of Rome, Naples and their environs” (1844)
cerum
Image by Internet Archive Book Images
Identifier: newguideofromena00vasi
Title: New guide of Rome, Naples and their environs
Year: 1844 (1840s)
Authors: Vasi, Mariano Nibby, A. (Antonio), 1792-1839
Subjects:
Publisher: Rome : Montaldini
Contributing Library: University of California Libraries
Digitizing Sponsor: Internet Archive

View Book Page: Book Viewer
About This Book: Catalog Entry
View All Images: All Images From Book

Click here to view book online to see this illustration in context in a browseable online version of this book.

Text Appearing Before Image:
e houses or rather cottagesof Romulus , of Tatius, of Manlius , the temple of JupilerFeretrius built by Romulus to receive the spoils of thevictory which he gained over Acron, chief of the Cerum-nians, and many other temples and altars or which accountit was also named <(Ara sacrorutna. On the north side of the intermontium was theasylum established by Romulus in order to encrease thepopulation of his city ; on the south were the tabularium,the athenffium and capitoliue library. The tabularium de-rived its name from the bronze table deposited in it, onwhich were inscribed the senatus consulli, the decreesof the people , the treaties of peace , of alliance and otherpublic documents. It was built by Catulus, the successorof Sylla in the diclalure, 84 years before the christian era ;was burnt in tlie contest betw^een the soldiers of Yitelliusand Vespasian , and was rebuilt by the latter who col-lected, in 5000 bronze tables, the acts which had beenscattered over the whole empire. ^«;

Text Appearing After Image:
Second day. 19 Some remains of the portico of tins edifice are stillexisting towards the forum j ihey are of the doric order inpeperino , with the capitals in travertine. On the summit of the hill overlooking the Corso,where the church of Araceli now stands, was the cele-brated temple of Jupiter Capitolinus built by Tarquinthe Proud in fulfilment of the vow made by TarquiniusPriscus, after the last Sabine war. Having been destroyedthree times by fire it was rebuilt by Sylla , Vespasian andDomitian. Under Sylla its dimensions were, according toDionisiusof Halicarnassus in Bomanfeelcircumference7705length 200, breadth 185. The front having a triple row ofcolumns, (which was double on the sides) faced the south.The cella was divided into three naves with ediculoe orchapels j of those on the sides , one was dedicated to Juno,the other to Minerva, and the third in the centre to Ju-piter. It was in front of this temple that the generals towhom triumphal honours bed been decreed , sacrificed

Note About Images
Please note that these images are extracted from scanned page images that may have been digitally enhanced for readability – coloration and appearance of these illustrations may not perfectly resemble the original work.

You may also like...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Skip to toolbar