Middlebury Falls / Power House ruins
Image by origamidon
Middlebury, Vermont USA • Looking Southeast from the Marble Works, across the basin to the Middlebury Falls of the Otter Creek. The ruins of the Power House are on the left. • This structure was originally built as the Cotton Mill (c.1810). This portion, the Southernmost foundation and two low floors, was saved from demolition after the great fire of 1891 burned much of the town center. As it sits at the base of the Middlebury Falls of the Otter Creek, it was converted to become the Power House for the Marble Works, up the hill to the west.
☞ The Cotton Mill, as a part of the Middlebury Village Historic District, has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places (#76000223), since 1976.
☞ This structure is listed on the Vermont State Register of Historic Places. Source: Data excerpts from "The Historic Architecture of Addison County: including a listing of the Vermont State Register of Historic Places"; Vermont Division of Historic Preservation; Curtis B. Johnson, Editor; © 1992.